Benefit periods are important, for example, with Part A cost-sharing where your costs related to inpatient hospital care differ by benefit period. For an example of how benefit periods work, here is the 2019 Part A cost-sharing by benefit period for 2019:
- $1,364 deductible for each benefit period.
- Days 1–60: $0 coinsurance for each benefit period.
- Days 61–90: $341 coinsurance per day of each benefit period.
- Days 91 and beyond: $682 coinsurance per each “lifetime reserve day” after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime).
- Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs.
- What Is a Medicare Hospital Benefit Period? AARP.org.
- Inpatient hospital care Medicare.Gov.