Losing “creditable coverage,” like some types of employer-based coverage, opens up a special enrollment window for Medicare Part B. You can use the Part B Special Enrollment Period while you have employer-based coverage, or for eight months after you lose your employer-based coverage.[1]

Please note, if you have had more than eight consecutive months without coverage from either current your employer or from Medicare Part B, you will not be eligible for Part B Special Enrollment and must enroll in Part B during the General Enrollment Period which is January 1 through March 31 each year.

FACT: As long as you use the Part B Special Enrollment Period you won’t have to pay a Part B late enrollment penalty.


  1. Part A & Part B sign up periods. Medicare.Gov.

Can't find the answer? Ask your question here