When comparing Medicare Advantage plans you’ll want to ask about cost-sharing, benefits, networks, and more to make sure you are looking at plans that suit your needs.
The following are some of the most important questions to ask when comparing plans:
- Is this a Medicare Advantage or Medigap plan? This is to make sure you are looking at an Advantage plan.
- If you have any specific conditions, make sure to ask if the plan covers them.
- Does the plan provide drug coverage? Not all Advantage plans provide drug coverage, make sure you are looking at one that does if you want drug coverage.
- Does this plan provide benefits Original Medicare doesn’t like vision, dental, hearing, and wellness?
- What is my share of costs? You’ll want to know what your cost-sharing is with both the health portion of the plan and the drug portion of the plan.
- What type of network does this plan use?
- Can I choose any doctor on this plan?
- Does this plan have limits for certain services? This is good to know if you know you’ll need certain types of care.
Also, make sure to explain your expected healthcare and prescription drug use in a year based on past years. The best way to know if you will benefit more from a high premium plan with lots of benefits and lower cost-sharing, or a lower premium plan with higher cost-sharing, is to know what kind of care you expect to use based on previous years.
Of course, you can look at this information and compare plans yourself, but remember you can always contact a licensed Medicare agent or the plan provider to get help!
Can't find the answer? Ask your question here